Mushroom Madness

| |

It seems like every spring I get a plague of mushrooms pop up in my garden. Usually they are pretty evenly spaced around the garden and there's not too many. I see them for about a week and then they die off and I don't seem em again. I'm pretty sure they come from the compost that I buy and add to the garden. In previous years I've bought a garden mix which is mostly topsoil and some mushroom compost. Mushrooms coming from that makes sense. This year I bought manure compost and humus compost. I wasn't really surprised to see mushrooms, but for some reason they decided to inhabit only one bed.


It seems like it would make sense if ALL the beds had mushrooms in them, but nope, only this one sans a stray mushroom or two in the bed next to this one. There are so many coming up I'm a little concerned they are going to push some of the seeds that haven't sprouted out of the ground.

I used to be a pretty concerned about mushrooms being in my garden and I used to pick them, but I decided they grow and die so fast that it probably doesn't matter. They may even be beneficial due to the fact they are breaking down organic matter and that's a good sign there is organic matter there. Since I don't know if this particular variety is poisonous or not, I just caution my kids not to touch, pick, or eat them. They'll go away in a week or so and my garden bed will look normal again.

Mushrooms: no worries, just don't eat em.

0 comments:

Post a Comment