What's Cookin' This Fall

| |

I decided not to go too overboard this fall and plant things I know we usually eat. Not trying anything fancy but I am trying my repeat failures again: Beets and Peas.


In the spring I planted ONE sweet potato that had started sprouting in my pantry. It was slow to do anything. I harvested all my russets and just let the plant grow. Now it's flowering and basically taking over my garden one box at a time.


It's overflowed the one 8'x4' box and is creeping into the adjacent one


Hopefully the peas can catch up before they're overrun from the sweet potatoes. I try peas again, these are mammoth melting sugar snap peas-edible pod. i haven't had luck with either variety. They look OK so far, not terribly vigorous but I think they're enjoying this cooler weather. One of these years I'll learn the secret to lots of peas!


Broccoli (back), brussel sprouts (center), kale (front) and a leftover bell pepper to the right that just won't quit.


Collard greens (border), beets (center). Looks like I'm gonna do well for collards, as I was hoping! I can't wait to eat them smothered with bacon for Thanksgiving.



I found two russet plants peeking through the mass of sweet potato. I must have missed them when I harvested this summer. If they make more potatoes that would be ok with me!

 I have a little hope for my navel orange tree. To the left, this is the picture I took back in March of this year. And to the right, I took this today. it has greened up A LOT, has plenty of new growth and some of the leaves are massive (see below). I guess it must have heard my threats of being cut down if it didn't produce. OK Orange tree, you get another chance. No flowers next spring and you're gone!!



You got anything good growing in your garden this fall? Maybe next year I'll be more adventurous. I'm happy for a big plate of collards and some broccoli leaf wrapped meatballs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment