The Birth of a Garden

| |

My favorite part of gardening is the week after the seeds are planted and the tiny new lives are pushing their way through the soil. I'm always amazed and so excited to see my little seedlings beginning their growth cycle. I see and imagine all their potential to become these beautiful plants bearing fruit for me and my family.
Sunflower (Kong Hybrid)

Cucumbers (Sweet Slice Hybrid)


Corn (Bodacious Hybrid) 
Notice the bird netting. It's the only way I can keep the squirrels and birds from digging up the seeds/seedlings. I'll remove it when the spouts are about 6-8 inches.

Asparagus - 1 year old plant. (Martha Washington I think)

Some plants are eager to please. Asparagus is harvested early in the spring. I just cut back all the old ferns that grew last year about a week ago and now you can see the new spouts are eager to begin. We'll harvest for 6-8 weeks and then let shoots grow into ferns at that point to nourish the crowns underground for the next season.


DS enjoys the first asparagus shoot of the season. After devouring raw he asked for more, unfortunately I had to tell him he would have to wait a day or two for the next one to be ready. You gotta catch these things fast because they grow very quickly, the difference in just 12 hours could be waiting too long.

0 comments:

Post a Comment