A Lost Cause

| |

Well, the squash vine borers finally annihilated my squash and zucchini plants. I knew it was only a matter of time before I would miss eggs. I wasn't exactly being diligent either since I was getting tired of zucchini. The fridge is still full of it. I was planning to rip the plants out anyway but when I saw the health of the plant rapidly decline and new leaves looking wilty I figured I already knew what happened. I tore the plants out this morning and there they are the little culprits.


There are two of them towards the top of the stalk with little brown heads and all their poop (called frass) towards the bottom where they've been. Now that I know what I'm seeing, I'm sure this is what has happened to my squash in the past. I don't think I will plant squash here again for a few years in case there are any bugs there that will come out later in the season.

I think I'll plant some more okra there. I already planted some along the edge of the watermelon bed and the pepper/potato/strawberry bed. Or maybe I'll just let the area rest, now that I'm sure my dirt is protected with the mulch I'm not so afraid to leave the area bare.

0 comments:

Post a Comment