Windblown

| |

This is seriously the weirdest Spring ever for our area. Last week we had a front come through that dropped us into the 40s at night. I think the plants are thoroughly confused, but yet they continue to grow, so that's great. With the front came 2 brutal days of high speed non stop winds. I wish I had decided to mulch my corn. I came out to find this:


Kind of reminds me of that yogurt/probiotic drink commercial where all the people are walking leaning because they're out of balance or something. Clearly you can see this was a strong west/northwest wind. After it finally calmed down some, I loaded up my wheelbarrow with compost I had left over and carefully righted the stalks and mounded them up and saturated the soil so it was a heavy muck to give them a little more strength against the remaining wind until they recovered. I worked in little more blood meal and bone meal in the process and fed with fish emulsion a few days later. I expect they should recover ok. I'm pretty sure I planted too close again this year so I've been feeding more than I usually would. I hope they pollinate and produce ok.


DD also helped me pick the first bunch of green beans on Sunday. She doesn't care much for green beans, but she loves picking anything out of the garden. We should be picking bowlfuls soon. I went out and planted a few more seeds to try and extend the season. I haven't tried that before so we'll see how it goes. In the process, I moved aside the wood mulch to the compost, which was damp and cool, just scraped aside a hole big enough for the seeds and I happened upon a worm! I'm totally thrilled, I guess the worm towers are helping, but I think the compost itself has had the biggest influence. Either way, I'm happy to find a worm so easily and I really do love composting via the worm towers, it's been much more convenient than the rotating bins.

0 comments:

Post a Comment